Document Type : Research Paper
Isfahan University of Technology
Senior Researcher, inter 3 Institute for Resource Management
This study examines spatial and temporal changes in water resources; including blue and green water resources components, taking into account their changes in four main land use in the Zayandeh-rud basin. The spatial and temporal changes were studied using the semi-distributed hydrological model SWAT (Soil and Water Assessment Tool) by applying the most complete data set developed for the watershed over 20 years and for four different 5-year intervals. Due to the high ability and efficiency of the SWAT model to simulate climatic parameters and surface runoff, the minimum 5-year average of blue water, green water flow, and green water storage at the basin level occurred; in the fourth period 2010-2014 (approx. 15 mm), the second period 2000-2004 (26 mm) and the first period 1995-1999 (30 mm), respectively. On the other hand, the mean values of the blue water component, the green water flow and the green water storage components were estimated to be higher in the western parts of the basin than in the eastern parts. Other findings from this study are the changes of blue water and green water regarding precipitation and land use. For example, the maximum amount of blue water was observed in forests and irrigated agricultural lands, the highest amount of change in green water flow in irrigated agricultural and dry farming lands, and the minimum amount of green water flow in grasslands. Acknowledgment of available water resources, water potentials of an area and critical areas enables comprehensive management of water resources and long-term planning.
- Ababaei, B. and Sohrabi, T. (2009). Assessing the performance of SWAT model in Zayandeh Rud watershed. Water and Soil Conservation, 16(3), 41.
- Abbaspour, K.C., Faramarzi, M., Ghasemi, S. and Yang, H. (2009). Assessing the impact of climate change on water resources in Iran. Water Resources Research, 45, W10434.
- Aghakhani, A.A., Hassanzadeh, Y., Pourreza-Bilondi, M. and Ahmadi, A. (2017). Analyzing long-term spatial variability of blue and green water footprints in a semi-arid mountainous basin with MIROC-ESM model (case study: Kashafrood River Basin, Iran). Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 134, 885–899.
- Akhavan, S., Abedi Koupai, J., Mousavi, S. F.., Abbaspour, K.., Afuni, M. and Eslamian, S. S. (2010). Blue water and green water prediction in Hamedan-Bahar catchment using the SWAT model. Journal of Science and Technology of Agriculture and Natural Resources, 53(14), 8-23. (In Farsi).
- Amini, M,A., Torkan, , , Eslamian, S.S., Zareian, M.J., , Besalatpour, A.A. (2019). Assessment of SWAT Hydrological Model in Catchments' Water Balance Simulation Located in Semi-Arid Regions (Case Study: Zayandeh-Rud River Basin). Journal of water and soil, 32(5), 849 – 863.
- Badou, D. F., Diekkeruger, B., Kapangaziwiri, E., Mbaye, M.L., Yira, Y., Lawin, A.E., Oyerinde, G.T. and A. Afouda. (2018). Modelling blue and green water availability under climate change in the Beninese Basin of the Niger River Basin, West Africa. Hydrological Processes, 32(16), 2526-2542.
- Besalatpour, A. A. and Hassanzadeh, N. (2016). Theory & Tutorial of SWAT. Vali-Asr University, Rafsanjan. (In Farsi).
- Besalatpour, A. A., Heidarpour, G. H., Kazemi, A. and Aghakhani, A. H. (2019). Hydrological modeling of spatial and temporal changes of blue and green water resources in the Zayandeh Rud river basin. Standing up to Climate Change: Creating Prospects for a Future in Rural Iran, Springer, Cham, 141-173.
- Cheng, G. and L. Zhao. (2006). Green water and its research progresses. Advances in Earth Science 21(3), 221–
- Falkenmark, M. (1995). Land-Water Linkages: A Synopsis: Land and Water Integration and River Basin Management: Land and Water Bulletin, FAO: Rome, Italy.
- Falkenmark, M. (1997). Meeting water requirements of an expanding world population. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society of London. Biological Science, 352(1356), 929-936.
- Falkenmark, M. and Rockström, J. (2006). The new blue and green water paradigm: Breaking new ground for water resources planning and management. Journal of Water Resources Planning and Management, 132(3), 129-132.
- Faramarzi, M., Abbaspour, K. C., Schulin, R. and Yang, H. (2009). Modelling blue and green water resources availability in Iran. Processes, 23(3), 486-501.
- Faramarzi, M., Abbaspour, K. C., Vaghefi, S. A., Farzaneh, M. R., Zehnder, A. J. B. and Srinivasan, R.. (2013). Modeling impacts of climate change on freshwater availability in Africa. Journal of Hydrology, 480, 85–101.
- Faramarzi, M., and Besalatpour. A.A. (2015). HYDROLOGICAL MODELLING OF ZAYANDEH RUD RIVER BASIN USING SWAT MODEL. IWRM project. Funded by German Ministry of Education and Research (2010-2018).
- Farsani, I. F., Farzaneh, M. R., Besalatpour, A. A., Salehi, M. H. and Faramarzi, M. (2018). Assessment of the impact of climate change on spatiotemporal variability of blue and green water resources under CMIP3 and CMIP5 models in a highly mountainous watershed. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 136, 169–184.
- Gassman, P.W., Reyes, M., Green, C. H., and Arnold, J. G. (2007). The soil and water assessment tool: historical development, applications, and future directions, T. ASABE, 50, 1211–1250.
- Golmohammadi, M. H. (2010). Application of adaptive Neuro-Based Fuzzy Inference System (ANFIS) for hydrological multivariate time series modeling. Master thesis, Isfahan University of Technology, Isfahan, I.R. Iran.
- Hallouz, F., Meddi, M., Mahé, G., Alirahmani, S. and Keddar, A. (2018). Modeling of discharge and sediment transport through the SWAT model in the basin of Harraza (Northwest of Algeria). Water Science, 32(1), 79–88.
- Hargreaves, G., Samani, Z.A. (1985). Reference crop evapotranspiration from temperature. Appl. Eng. Agric. 1: 96–99.
- Hosseinzadeh, N., Hajabbasi, M. A. and Besalatpour, A. A. (2018). Hydrological modeling of spatial and temporal changes of blue and green water resources in Javanmardi watershed using SWAT model. Journal of Soil Management and Sustainable Production, 8(2), 163-176. (In Farsi).
- Jabary, A., Hosseini, M. and Khosrojerdi, A. (2012). Sensitivity analysis of runoff parameters in Sanjabi Watershed by SWAT. In: 3rd National Conference on Comprehensive Water Resources Management, Sari Agricultural Sciences and Natural Resources University, Sari, Mazandaran Province, Iran. (In Farsi)
- Rostamian, R., Jaleh, A., Afyuni, M., Mousavi, S. F., Heidarpour, M., Jalalian, A. and Abbaspour, K. C. (2008). Application of a SWAT model for estimating runoff and sediment in two mountainous basins in central Iran. Hydrological Sciences journal, 53(5), 977-988.
- Nash, J.E and Sutcliffe, J.V. (1970). River flow forecasting through conceptual models part I—a discussion of principles. Journal of Hydrology, 10(3), 282–
- Nikoudel, M., Faramarzi, M., Koupaei, S.S. (2011). Simulation of hydrological effects of water resources management in Zayandehrud basin using SWAT model, Fifth National Conference on Watershed Management and Soil and Water Resources Management, kerman, Iran.
- Nikoudel, M, Ghahnavieh, S.,Soltani, A.R., Koupaei, S.S. (2011). Investigation of the performance of the SWAT model in flow upstream simulation of the Zayandeh River. The Second National Conference on Combating Desertification and Sustainable Development of Iran Desert Wetlands, Arak, Iran.
- Pandey, B. K., Khare, D., Kawasaki, A. and Mishra, P. K. (2018). Climate Change Impact Assessment on Blue and Green Water by Coupling of Representative CMIP5 Climate Models with Physical Based Hydrological Model. Water Resources Management 33(1), 141-158.
- Schuol, J., Abbaspour, K. C., Yang, H., Srinivasan, R. and Zehnder, A. J. (2008). Modeling blue and green water availability in Africa. Water Resources Research, 44, W07406.
- Tripathi, M. P., Panda, K. and Raghuwanshi, N. S. . (2005). Development of effective management plan for critical sub watersheds using SWAT model. Hydrological Processes, 19(3), 809–826.
- Veettil, A.V. and Mishra, A. K. (2018). Potential influence of climate and anthropogenic variables on water security using blue and green water scarcity, Falkenmark index, and freshwater provision indicator. Journal of Environmental Management, 228, 346–362.
- Winchell, M., Srinivasan, R., Di Luzio, M. and Arnold, J. (2010). ArcSWAT Interface for SWAT 2009, User’s Guide. Blackland Research Center, Texas, USA.
- Zang, C., Liu, J., Velde, M. and Kraxner, F.. (2012). Assessment of spatial and temporal patterns of green and blue water flows under natural conditions in inland river basins in Northwest China. Hydrology and Earth System Sciences, 16, 2859-2870.
- Zang, C. and Mao, G. (2019). A Spatial and Temporal Study of the Green and Blue Water Flow Distribution in Typical Ecosystems and its Ecosystem Services Function in an Arid Basin. Water, 11(1),
- Zhu, K., Xie, Z., Zhao, Y., Lu, F., Song, X., Li, L. and Song, X. (2018). The Assessment of Green Water Based on the SWAT Model: A Case Study in the Hai River Basin, China. Water, 10(6),
- Zhe Yuan, Z., Xu, J. and Wang, Y. (2019). Historical and future changes of blue water and green water resources in the Yangtze River source region, China. Theoretical and Applied Climatology, 138 (1-2), 1035-1047.